Statistics Brain says more than 35.9 million mattresses are shipped each year by the mattress industry. This includes online purchase shipments. This day that anything including mattress can be bought from anywhere in the world.
The challenge, (though not really a challenge), is how the mattress will get to you, the buyer. This is not so much a challenge because the mattress can easily be shipped. The major issue is How much does it cost to ship a mattress? Find the answer below.
How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Mattress? The average cost of shipping a mattress per mile is about $0.70 for a long distance journey. For short distance journeys, the cost is $2.50 per mile on the average. There are other costs involved in shipping a mattress, however, the total cost is estimated to start from $350.
What Are The Factors That Affect The Cost Of Shipping?
The cost of shipping adds to the factors to consider especially when you are buying on a budget. Seeking to understand the factors that affect the cost of shipping will help you make the right decision. Some of these factors include:
- Dimension Or Weight Of The Shipment:
When you ship freights by sea, the cost determining factor is the dimension of the freight. This means the amount of space the shipment cover in the entire freight. When you ship by air, the cost determining factor is the weight of the shipment.
The more the weight of the freight (your mattress in this case), the more you pay to ship it by air. The bigger the size of your shipment, the more it costs to ship it by sea.
- The Density Of The Shipment:
As things continue to evolve in the freight shipping world, it becomes difficult to continue using the Dimension or Weight pricing system. This gave rise to the Dimensional-Weight Pricing system. The combination of freight dimension and weight is known as freight density.
Freight density refers to the amount of space occupied by freight in tandem to its weight. You get the density of any freight by dividing its weight in pounds by its volume in cubic feet.
For the Dimensional-Weight Pricing system; the higher the density of your freight, in this case, your mattress, the more cost you incur.
- Freight Classification
Freights are generally classified into two categories: Low freight class and High freight class. Freights are defined into class based on the weight of the freight, its density, and how easy it is to handle without causing liability to it.
Freights that have lower density and are not prone to damage are classified as low-class freight while those with a high risk of damage and high density are classified into high-class freight.
Based on this classification, lower freight class will have lower shipping cost while freight that falls into high freight class will cost higher to ship.
- Shipping Mode
After the freight has been classified, another determining factor is the urgency at which you want your freight to be shipped. Freight that has express delivery requests will be shipped with expediency at a much higher rate.
- Fuel Cost
Each time fuel price rises, carriers try to compensate for this. They, therefore, pass on the difference in price to the consumers. Times like this, the shipping rate will experience a hike regardless of the type of freight you trying to ship.
- Tariff Rates and Negotiated Rates
Your shipping cost is dependent on the type of shipping rate you get from your carrier. You, need to get as many quotes as you can possibly get from different carriers. It is then you can choose which best suits you and will serve the purpose.
This is the basic insight into factors that affect shipping cost. Your understanding of these factors will let you maneuver around the cost and see if you can reduce it.
What Other Options Are Available To Move A Mattress?
Aside from shipping your mattress, other options available includes:
- Rent a Moving Truck: You can decide to go the “do-it-yourself” way by renting a moving truck. This will be great for you especially if you are transporting on a budget. The only challenge is that you will have to do all the work by yourself. This is where the cost of purchase might rise a little bit. Click here to learn how you can move your mattress without a truck.
- Hire a Professional Mover: This option is more expensive. This is because professional movers will charge you more. However, they will take care of packing, moving, unloading, and delivery of your freight. This means convenience. Usually, this is the standard shipping arrangement used by many online stores.
- Container Shipment: this is slightly different from standard shipping in the sense that you are paying for container service. The online seller moves the mattress to the container shipping company you choose. The company then packages the mattress and transports it to your doorstep or your specified destination. This is less costly since you are paying only for a portion of the container.
Why Ship A Mattress?
There is usually the need to transport your mattress especially when it is purchased online. Shipping is less costly than using a truck. This is because you only have to pay for the space your mattress occupies. Cost of fueling and other expenses that come along with truck transport are no concern to you.
Also, shipping is less stressful compared to truck transport. How the mattress moves from source to destination is not for you to worry about, the carrier will do that on your behalf. Besides, shipping is the safest means to transport your mattress. You can rest assured that your mattress will get to its destination intact.
Check out I Charts to learn Ways to Sell (a Lot More) with your eCommerce Website