There are times when your cat(s) make you happy and there are times you face challenges with them. Cat pees have a strong smell. And when they pee on your mattress you have to remove the stain as soon as possible. Find how to get cat pee out of your mattress here.
So, how to get cat pee out of your mattress involves; apply baking soda on the affected area. Use a black light to find out the affected area. When you apply the baking powder, it turns yellow. Remove the baking powder and apply a fresh batch. Keep removing and applying until the baking powder no longer turns yellow. Mix vinegar with water and clean the surface. Make a mixture of baking powder, hydrogen peroxide, and liquid dishes soap. Then spray the mattress with it.
Let’s go into the details of how you can get cat pee out of your mattress as fast as possible. What are the instruments and materials you need and how do you apply them? The process is quite simple. Using easy homemade solutions, you can do it yourself.
Instruments and materials you need:
- Paper towel
- Baking soda
- A vacuum cleaner with an attached hose
- Distilled white vinegar
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Liquid dish soap
- Plastic spray bottle
How to apply these instruments:
- Blacklight: You’ll use this, to find out the affected area. When you look with your bare eyes, it might be difficult to find the region affected by cat pee. Especially when it’s dried already. With the black light, you get to find out where the affected area is with ease.
- Paper towel: This will be used to dry out the cat pee from the affected area immediately it happens.
- Washcloths and Bucket: You will use this to clean the surface of the mattress. It has to be wet so as to clean with it.
- Baking soda: This is used to soak out all the cat pee from the mattress. You’ll need to apply and remove it a couple of times. You’ll also know it has been entirely soaked out once the baking soda no longer turns yellow when you apply it.
- Vacuum cleaner with hose: This will be used to clean out the baking soda you applied.
- Distilled White Vinegar: Vinegar will help you break the strong odor that comes from the cat pee.
- Hydrogen peroxide and liquid dishes soap: These will be mixed together to correct the odor in the affected area. However, this will be applied when you are certain the area has been thoroughly cleaned.
- Plastic spray bottles: The bottles will be used to spray the mixture of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and liquid dish soap on the well-cleaned area.
Step by step instructions and explanation:
- Switch off the room light and ensure the room is dark to a significant level. Switch on your black light and begin to search where the mattress is affected. You’ll find it when you see a green glow. Cat pee glows under black light.
- When the affected area is found, pour some baking soda on the region. The baking soda will suck up the pee and turn yellow. Once it does, use the vacuum cleaner to remove it. Apply another batch of baking soda. If it turns yellow as well, remove it and apply another layer. You will do this severally until the baking soda no longer turns yellow. In case the cat pee is dry already, you will need to pour a small quantity of water to wet the area again.
- When that happens, pick up the bucket and do a mixture of distilled vinegar and water. Deep the washcloth into the mixture and rub the surface with it. After rubbing thoroughly with the mixture, use the warm water to clean.
- The last step is to pick up the plastic spray bottle. In it, mix hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and liquid dish wash together. Spray the mixture on the surface of the mattress. Then, scrub with warm water.
When all these steps are carefully followed, you’ll have a very clean mattress; totally free of cat pee and its odor.
How can I prevent cat pee on my mattress?
There are several ways this can be done. One way is to prevent the cats from entering into your room so that they will not climb on your mattress and then pee on it. But many pet owners will find it difficult to shut the room door against their pet. Since getting a pet has a close relationship with the love you have for them.
Another way to do it is to train your cat not to pee anywhere except in the litter box you provide. The secret to this is to provide one litter box per cat. Cats prefer to find unique places to mark out as theirs. If you can provide this, you will be able to train your cat on where to pee.
One great way to prevent your cat from peeing on your mattress is to employ the use of a shower curtain. Plastic carpet can also be used. When the mattress is not in use, you will have to cover your mattress with any these materials. Cats, usually, do not like the feel of these and will not sit on such a covered mattress.
Causes of indiscriminate cat peeing;
When you notice your cats are peeing anywhere, it could be as a result of stress or medical issues.
Stress could come when you just moved from one house to another, as a result of a change in routine, and other reasons. When you notice this, you will need to help your cat go through the process. Make them comfortable so as to ease the stress.
In the case of medical conditions, you should take your cat to see a vet doctor.